What’s the Cloud?
– An approach to computing that’s about internet scale and connecting to a variety of devices and end-points.
– Simple Definition : Cloud computing is about delivering IT resources as a utility services.
Cloud Services Category
Infrastructure As A Service ( IaaS )
-The IaaS service category provides you with the Infrastructure you need to deploy your applications and manage your lifecycle of not only your applications but also the underlying operating system, as in IaaS you rent the infrastructure which the service provider will manage and maintain but you still in the hook for managing, patching and maintain the underlying operating system and your applications, Targeted audience for IaaS are system administrators & Operations Engineers.
Platform As A Service ( PaaS )
– The PaaS service category provides you with the Infrastructure, Operating System and runtime environment as in this service category you only responsible for delivering and developing your applications as the service provider abstracts the infrastructure and the operating system from you, Targeted audience for PaaS are developers.
– Windows Azure is the PaaS that Microsoft provides, and Windows Azure is simply a development platform that support all programming languages.
Software As A Service ( SaaS )
-The SaaS service category provides you with an end-to-end software you only have to use the software and manage your business data that flows into and from the software, Regardless of where this software running, on which infrastructure or operating system, You don’t have to annoy yourself with such a details as the service provider manage all this for you, Targeted audience for SaaS are end-users, Example of SaaS ( Office 365 )
– Note : SaaS is built on PaaS, and PaaS is build on IaaS.
Public Vs Private Cloud
– Represents the core cloud attributes of self-service, shared, scalable/elastic, and usage-based on SHARED RESOURCES
– Represents the core cloud attributes of self-service, shared, scalable/elastic and usage-based on DEDICATED RESOURCES
Note : Share & Dedicated resources means the location which the cloud is exist, if i’ve a cloud within my enterprise and i own the datacenter so it’s a private cloud, If i rent whether IaaS, PaaS or SaaS model from a service provider like ( Microsoft ) then i’m using a public cloud ( Public doesn’t mean that my data is shared to everyone )
Note : If any of these services (self-service, shared, scalable/elastic and usage-based) are not offered by a private cloud, then it’s merely an optimized datacenter not a cloud, and it’s not always a bad choice, An optimized datacenter maybe better than a cloud in some scenarios
Advantages Of Cloud Computing
– Pay only for what you use.
– Lower and predictable costs.
– shift from capex to opex.
– No patching and maintenance.
– Faster deployment.
– Robust multi-layered security.
– Reliability and fault tolerance.
– Software and Platform automatically upgraded to the newest version.
– Instant self-provisioning